Monday, February 23, 2009

How Low Can You Go?!

This entry isn't so much about the date part of dating, but the socializing portion leading up to the date.  Perhaps this is where all battles are won or lost - before it really begins.  It's important not to take yourself too seriously or you might encounter an experience that could break you.

I have a firm conviction of the importance of being able to laugh at one's self in the face of embarrassment.  Sometimes you must laugh through severe discomfort, but I assure you, it's by far the best thing to do to avoid the urge to crawl into a remote hole somewhere and never come out.  So, here's the skinny on the situation I fell into tonight.

We're planning a CPR activity later this week for the women only in my LDS Ward - our enrichment activity.  I was at my weekly Family Home Evening group gathering and someone announced it for the ladies present.  One of the guys in our group asked what time he should show up.  After some of the others said that boys weren't invited, which he knew very well, I thought I would give him an option.


Thinking only of the chest compression portion of the CPR exercise (I assure you!)
, I said, "We'll be doing CPR, so if you wanna come and be the dummy. . . ."  I didn't even get it until he emphatically agreed to come and be the dummy.  Everyone lost it and I did too.  I turned so red in the face, I thought I had skipped forward 30 years, right into menopause.  I just about died!  It took a little while before I gathered my composure.  Way to impress the men-folk, Self; way to go.

All I can say is that I laughed 'til I cried and my ability to laugh at myself made it much easier to get closer to the others in the group.  I'm positive that if I had not laughed in that embarrassing moment, I would have cried in emotional pain and I would never have been able to face any of them again.  I still cried, but they were over-happy tears!

Oh, the things I say in mixed company.  Phew!!  Now, let that be a lesson to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment