Saturday, January 23, 2010

If the Wedding Bells Don't Ring, An Angel Gets its Wings

Dvvvbt-dvvvbt-dvvoo! (Yes, that's my attempt at writing out a trumpet onomatopoeia)

This special announcement is brought to you by - well, by yours truly, of course. I thought it worth while to announce that two distinct versions of This Guy I Know have been so bold as to agree to, and follow through with the first date. Mind you, it seems to have become standard practice for the first date to be a small group consisting of TGIK (is it me, or does this acronym, when said out loud, sound like 'the geek'?!), myself and the entire family of the person who set us up. Yes, that's right. The first date with both of these men, in all its glory, has had us dealing with kids already. . . . And they say, 'no pressure!'

In all seriousness, the evenings have both been fun. I see no more than friendship with one of them and have no desire for anything more than maintaining a fine acquaintance status with the other. I much prefer dating TGIK (in his many varieties) casually, but more frequently, than not dating at all. I'm sure that sounds like a 'duh' statement to you, however, I say this only because it's a lot easier to arrive at that elusive moment of 'when you least expect it' if you're actually dating people than when you have no prospects at all. I mean, you can't expect something from nothing, you know!

I've set it up so that TGIK #1 and I are going to go to the local Institute of Religion class together each Wednesday evening. I did have a much more relaxing and natural time with him anyway, even if I don't want anything more than friendship with him.

The other first date with TGIK #2 was. . . interesting. If you know me well, you know that I don't do small talk. At least I'm horrible at it if I do. I've never excelled at the casual mingle. I think I tend to socialize in the same way I shop for food or clothing. Get in - Get out - and Get on with life. I hope someday I'll be compelled to stop 'window shopping' for men and decide on one that suits me well.

So, anyway, I don't think it was 10 minutes into the evening before TGIK #2 brought up marriage. I thought it a bit awkward, but then I embraced the openness and ran with it. I had more of a connection with the married couple who set me up with TGIK #2 than I did with TGIK #2 himself. That's typically not a good sign of a promising relationship. I don't shy away from most respectable conversation topics, so it made for an interesting evening. I'm pretty much an open book and because I felt no need to be strategic in order win another date with TGIK #2, I just spewed forth from the depths of my discussion well. We also had some very superficial funny talk intermittently, but someone kept drawing the conversation back to marriage.

That's OK, though. I'm just like that beautifully sun-ripening apple at the tippy top of the tree that people might see and say they'd like, but they get distracted on the way up and go for the fruit on the lower branches before they reach me. I'm just lookin' for the man who complements me (and vice versa) and keeps his focus until he makes his way past all the other fruit on all the other branches to get the apple that caught his eye (in this case, me).

Well, if'n I hang on that branch until I'm out of season and crabbed with age, at least I may still have hope that perhaps one of the two thousand strippling warriors didn't marry in this life either and I'm sure he ought to be courageous enough to push past the intimidation of a nice, independent woman and we'll be married for eternity. . . . But if not, I'm sure life would still be a little bit beautiful if I were to spend forever as a single ministering angel, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment